Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, June 28, 2010

Life in the Yard

Time for an update on the baby song sparrows
This is eight days out and they're getting more feathers. I actually do not know any more WHAT day they hatched. The first picture included one unhatched egg, which I assumed hatched later that same day. However, last night I still saw the egg in there. Unfortunately, the photo was blurry, but it's under that guy on the right...

My purply Hoary Vervain (verbena stricta Vent) is really coming along, this year.
The term "vervain" supposedly comes from the Celtic word, ferfaen: fer="the drive away" and faen="a stone," and thus it was used for "bladder stones" (kidney stones?).

I dug some from the roadside and it is really spreading from seed. Roots can go down as far as 12 feet, so it would be an interesting experiment for the makers of Roundup, ha, ha.

Here's an older robin fledgling, sitting atop the humongous swingset.
He was making these soft little noises, at regular intervals, so I managed to catch him mid-chirp.

Do you think he might have come from this nest on top of the garage light?


Some day I'm going to put up a photo montage of the different shades of hollyhocks...all of which originated from two deep red flowers growing near the house when we moved in.

Even this lemon yellow beauty.
I don't often get this color.

That's all for now. Weeds wait for no Ma.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home