Visitors From Out Indianaway
Ok...I guess "Indianaway" doesn't have quite the zing of "Ioway," but I gave it a try.
My mom and my sister Nancy arrived around 5;45pm and had a good, if tiring, trip. Stopped in Kalona, where Mom got to visit with some relatives she hadn't seen since the age of 10, I think,(wow), and then up here with no problems, thanks to Ma's excellent directions:
"...go till you get to the second forked tree....not a low fork, but one high up in the trunk, curving slightly to the right...then it's three fence posts after that tree and you turn..."
Well, it wasn't quite like that. I even remembered the proper road numbers this time.
After supper I hit the treadmill and had the kids watched The Mary Tyler Moore Show for the first time in their life. They started watching The Dick Van Dyke Show but I had them switch to a Bill Nye video (I can monitor the TV broadcast downstairs, while I tread). It doesn't happen often, but even the old shows can hit a topic that's not the best for young kids.
The funny thing was, Jerry Van Dyke was guest starring on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
I'm just going to have to stop and ponder the ramifications of that...
Nancy has already played (and beaten) two of the kids at chess, as well as survived a tour of the boys' room. There were some words concerning potential "booby traps" before the tour, but she seems none the worse for wear so I guess Nolan was just talking big :-)
We started Nolan's birthday book, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, for bedtime reading. I was pleasantly surprised.
I may have to employ a few of her tactics...
Tweet
My mom and my sister Nancy arrived around 5;45pm and had a good, if tiring, trip. Stopped in Kalona, where Mom got to visit with some relatives she hadn't seen since the age of 10, I think,(wow), and then up here with no problems, thanks to Ma's excellent directions:
"...go till you get to the second forked tree....not a low fork, but one high up in the trunk, curving slightly to the right...then it's three fence posts after that tree and you turn..."
Well, it wasn't quite like that. I even remembered the proper road numbers this time.
After supper I hit the treadmill and had the kids watched The Mary Tyler Moore Show for the first time in their life. They started watching The Dick Van Dyke Show but I had them switch to a Bill Nye video (I can monitor the TV broadcast downstairs, while I tread). It doesn't happen often, but even the old shows can hit a topic that's not the best for young kids.
The funny thing was, Jerry Van Dyke was guest starring on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
I'm just going to have to stop and ponder the ramifications of that...
Nancy has already played (and beaten) two of the kids at chess, as well as survived a tour of the boys' room. There were some words concerning potential "booby traps" before the tour, but she seems none the worse for wear so I guess Nolan was just talking big :-)
We started Nolan's birthday book, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, for bedtime reading. I was pleasantly surprised.
I may have to employ a few of her tactics...
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home