Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, July 06, 2012

Life in the Yard, and Other Places

These are from my hostas on the north side of the house. The flowers bend over so I just stuck my camera underneath, pointed up and hoped for the best. I'm gradually becoming more fond of hostas--they've been overused in my opinion. But all three of my varieties I've gotten for free, so I'm yeah...they're starting to grow on me. One of these days I'll fix up a proper shade garden instead of simply sticking things along the north side as a temporary stash.

I didn't plant these: they are morning glories which came up volunteer from last year. I'm been incredibly lazy with my own beds and garden this summer...

Sure this is blurry, but the light was fading fast. When Melinda said there were several racoons over by the bins I thought I should give it a shot. What is unusual--I think--is that there are five babies (arrgh!). My experience has been that most often the litter is two or three. That's all we need around here....more nest-robbing raccoons.

Speaking of which, there is a chipping sparrow nest I discovered underneath those morning glories you see pictured, above.  It's closer to the house so I'm hoping (crosses fingers) nothing bothers them.



As to other news, Melinda and Ethan had their first day of detasseling, on this last of the heat warning days. They got to break off two hours early, due to a couple kids showing symptoms of heat stress. I am glad.

Tomorrow should be more manageable with temps in the lower 90's.

In dieting news,  Ma has weighed in and after 5 weeks has a total loss of 13 pounds! Good stuff. Though the 4th of July nearly did me in, perhaps adding a half pound with all the goodies. Now to try and be disciplined again and hopefully drop another 5 or 6 over the next four weeks.

I am very thankful that even during the reunion and my subsequent trip to Indiana, I still lost a bit, here and there. I did try most earnestly (except for that night out with Sharon and Kendra) to be watchful of the calories.

In school news I'm proceeding with the subjects we didn't quite finish, for Trevor and Nolan. Due to their taking WAY too long with their math, almost every day. It's been very, very frustrating for me this past year, but I think I can finish up Nolan by the end of next week, and Trevor by the end of the following one.

Whooee, imagine being done with school as early as July 20th!

*stifles sob*

Next school year is gonna be different, one way or another.

And now I must quietly get the two  youngest up to bed. That 4:00 wake-up for Melinda and Ethan will come soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home