Merry Old England - Take 5
| The remains of an actual Roman wall....it's HISTORY, people! |
| Tower of London. I wonder if they take boarders... |
| Tower Bridge. Imagine having this scenery on your morning jog. |
| One of the trademark ravens. Legend says that if the ravens ever leave, the tower will fall. I guess that's why their wings are clipped. |
We are finally into the third day of the trip! I was probably over the jet lag, by now.
Originally we were scheduled to see Westminster Abbey in the morning, but they contacted us saying an event had been scheduled; we could come at 2:30 for one hour. So we hit the Tower in the a.m. I had not realized it was like a little city. Besides holding prisoners, they coined money, made armaments, posted letters, all kinds of stuff.
Oh yes....also saw the crown jewels! Naturally we couldn't take pictures. And I was surprised to discover they comprised more than "just" crowns. The punch bowl was extraordinary.
Most unfortunately, when we got to Westminster that afternoon, the sign said "closed." I guess since they'd already had a function that day, they simply decided to keep her closed all afternoon. Well, I'm not over here every day :-( Something of a bitter disappointment, since there are several famous people buried there, but I reminded myself of the many sites we did see. At present I am only the teensiest bit bitter so I have made progress.
More stuffs next time on Ma's whirlwind tour :-D Tweet

The Progeny
1 Comments:
I'm really enjoying reading about your trip. That's a real downer about Westminster Abbey. It seems that maybe you could have pounded on the doors (that would get them running if you were threatening enough) and then you could nicely remind them that they had said you could come at 2:30 so you expected to go in ... you were only getting their attention since you assumed they'd want to keep their word. (In other words, I'm sure someone would have been there inside.)
Now let's see if I can post this. I've never been successful before on your blog.
Lois
Post a Comment
<< Home