Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, October 15, 2004

News of the Day

Loren has just been moved off the CCU floor to a room in the transplant waiting section. There is a desk on one side so I KNOW he is going to have Jason unhook his computer from home and we'll bring it up very soon.

Loren was switched from Dobutamine to Milrinone because the former med works on the beta receptors. It was doing the opposite of what Loren's beta blocker, Sotolol was doing, and apparently this type of drug induced counterproductivity is frowned upon. The Milirinone is a stimulant, though, and perhaps that is why he is still throwing PVC's, though not as many or as often. But when they come in flurries, he feels pretty low, since an early beat does not profuse blood throughout the body in a normal fashion. (PVC-premature ventricular contraction) But the doctors felt he was ready to be moved. Naturally his heart is still monitored 24/7. There is this little room where several people spend their entire days just watching blip after blip after blip.

I may be able to stay in Loren's new room overnight. One is not allowed to have spouses stay all night in CCU. Have to leave at 9pm. I tried sleeping one night in the "family waiting room," which is conveniently located just beneath the helipad. I heard the helicopters come and leave 4 times that night. Thought I'd been relocated to a M*A*S*H unit in Korea. I got smart and stayed in a motel last night. After all the sedentary "activity" associated with hospital rooms and driving, I was looking forward to cable TV and the exercise channel. Got to the room and into my workout attire only to find it was..... YOGA. "Bleah." It seems "Michael" had just had a close encounter with his inner self. He was peaceful, yet tired. Calm, yet pleasantly fatigued. Well now, isn't that nice. I just watched Fox News and M*A*S*H and tried to keep mobile.

After Loren had a shower yesterday, he was feeling perky enough to go over the mail and bills with me. Really, it doesn't look all that hard. Throw a little meat to these guys, toss a few bones to those guys....etc. I did find that we have different criteria as to who gets paid what. Loren usually checks the date to see what is due and when. That's all well and good, but I like to go the extra mile and ask, "Yes, but are they nice? Have they ever sent us a Christmas card or free calendar?"

An extra meal arrived at dinner time, since a lady had just been transferred out. So I was allowed to join Loren in a hospital prepared Chinese dinner. (some of it was ok) But, the fortune cookies were the best part. Not eating them, but reading the fortune. Loren's said, "A book is in your future." "Hey," I said, "Gimme that! I'm sure that was meant for me!" All my cookie had revealed was the fluffy,"Your future is as boundless as the lofty heaven."

I think I'll save it and send it to "Michael's" inner self.

5 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Ma Hoyt! I'm so glad to finally find your blog! It was like a treasure hunt! Well, I guess it did help that you gave me the link.. but that really doesn't count.

I had no idea that you guys were going through such a hard time. I will definitely add you to my prayer list.

Let me know about MOCK also. Linda aluded to it, but I haven't really heard any details of it yet.

julie

10/16/2004 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Ah yes. Now I remember another reason I wanted to contact you. You must join our "little group" :-)

We're not terribly organized, we just threaten to do terrible things to various college students. All in the name of love and compassion, of course.

(for a limited time we are offering free membership to M.O.C.K. So, see, you have no excuse NOT to join.)

10/16/2004 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger Thainamu said...

Hey Julie, yes you must join. All you have to do is help or harass some deserving college kids. Here is one link with some info, but there was earlier discussion too. Ma Hoyt is such a prolific writer there is a lot of stuff to search through. Has someone invented a seach engine for comments?
http://iowahoyts.blogspot.com/2004/09/mock-reloaded.html

10/17/2004 08:12:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I'm so in! I already send cookies to various Kids, but to be part of something so official would make it all the more impressive! ;) Is there a place we are keeping track of addresses and what 'we' have sent already? How many of 'us' are there? Let me know what my official 'role' is!

Julie

10/20/2004 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Well, I have a box to send to some girls at OBU in AR.. is there some official address label I"m suppose to use to have it be from MOCK? It feels like there should be monthly meetings! cheers.. and pledges... like calvin and hobbes club!!


julie

11/02/2004 12:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home