Going Good :-)
I got out for a second walk this evening. It is just good to get away from the hospital environment now and then. I had no particular destination in mind when it suddenly occurred to me that I would soon be running low on Dove's Dark Chocolates. Suddenly, I recalled a local grocery about 20 minutes (walking) away that stocked the all-important source of seratonin. I knew where I had to go. (I like to think of this as "The Purpose Driven Walk.")
Upon arrival at the candy aisle, I was DISMAYED to see a stack of milk chocolate, but a totally empty slot where the dark Dove's used to be. This certainly looked suspicious. I remembered their seasonal candy corner and strode purposefully toward it. Aha! There they were! Oh sure, they were wrapped up in Christmas foil, but they were still my beloved Dark Chocolates. You have to get up pur-i-tee early in the morning to fool "Ol' Ma."
Upon returning to Loren's room, I walked in on a heavy discussion between him and his nurse. At issue was the possibility of getting up in the chair. A few ice chips had been consumed, followed by a wave of nausea. (this is normal) The nurse wanted him to wait a little and then maybe sit in the chair for a bit. Loren, being his typically difficult and questioning self, was going back and forth from every conceivable angle concerning: additional ice chip tests, how many actual chips to partake of, whether it was genuine fatigue he was feeling, or whether his new heart was a bum deal and not working, (wife rolls eyes) what would be the ramifications of just sitting on the bed, waiting till tomorrow to try it at all, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Hmmmm. He seems better to me. Exasperatingly normal, to be precise. I predict a full recovery :-)
He did get up in the chair, and for more than 20 minutes. It takes two people to move him. There are numerous lines still coming out of various body parts. They have to be carefully held and watched. Loren is not allowed to push or pull with his arms, so as not to put stress on the huge incision and his sternum. It is quite an ordeal that involves feet shuffling, hanging on to nurses elbows, and sitting down by only using leg muscles.
Then, of course, followed more self examination: "Do I feel any different? Do I feel nauseous? Am I feeling nauseous because I am thinking about it? (wife rolls eyes and admires nurse's amazing self control) Well, soon the night duty nurse was coming to work, and in the process of getting her briefed, Loren was left sitting up a little longer than expected, but he did OK. He was starting to nod off while sitting up, though. They have threatened to make him walk, tomorrow.
The room is not immediately accessible from the hallway. One enters a small anteroom, first. This is to preserve the pure integrity of the air in Loren's actual room. Also in this anteroom is a sink, where one washes for 2 minutes, the first time each day, and for 30 seconds each subsequent time to enter the room. Also, a little box of yellow face masks sits on the counter. You only have to put them on if you think you might be getting a cold, but I wear one each time I enter the room. That way, I never have to brush my teeth :-)
Loren is required to breathe into a Spirometer 10 times each hour. That is to get his lungs working again. They tend to wimp out with all the laying about. Also helps to prevent the onset of pneumonia. It is hard work for him, but he does it.
Well, that is all for this day. The hospital library is closed, so I descended two floors to a little room with a computer that is reserved for transplant patients and family members. At least, that's what I plan on telling anyone if they ask.
Keep praying. There are bound to be ups and downs with all of this. But it has been a good day. Thanks, so much for all your love, help and prayer support. May God bless each and every one of you.
This is Rochester, saying, "Goodnight."
Tweet
Upon arrival at the candy aisle, I was DISMAYED to see a stack of milk chocolate, but a totally empty slot where the dark Dove's used to be. This certainly looked suspicious. I remembered their seasonal candy corner and strode purposefully toward it. Aha! There they were! Oh sure, they were wrapped up in Christmas foil, but they were still my beloved Dark Chocolates. You have to get up pur-i-tee early in the morning to fool "Ol' Ma."
Upon returning to Loren's room, I walked in on a heavy discussion between him and his nurse. At issue was the possibility of getting up in the chair. A few ice chips had been consumed, followed by a wave of nausea. (this is normal) The nurse wanted him to wait a little and then maybe sit in the chair for a bit. Loren, being his typically difficult and questioning self, was going back and forth from every conceivable angle concerning: additional ice chip tests, how many actual chips to partake of, whether it was genuine fatigue he was feeling, or whether his new heart was a bum deal and not working, (wife rolls eyes) what would be the ramifications of just sitting on the bed, waiting till tomorrow to try it at all, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Hmmmm. He seems better to me. Exasperatingly normal, to be precise. I predict a full recovery :-)
He did get up in the chair, and for more than 20 minutes. It takes two people to move him. There are numerous lines still coming out of various body parts. They have to be carefully held and watched. Loren is not allowed to push or pull with his arms, so as not to put stress on the huge incision and his sternum. It is quite an ordeal that involves feet shuffling, hanging on to nurses elbows, and sitting down by only using leg muscles.
Then, of course, followed more self examination: "Do I feel any different? Do I feel nauseous? Am I feeling nauseous because I am thinking about it? (wife rolls eyes and admires nurse's amazing self control) Well, soon the night duty nurse was coming to work, and in the process of getting her briefed, Loren was left sitting up a little longer than expected, but he did OK. He was starting to nod off while sitting up, though. They have threatened to make him walk, tomorrow.
The room is not immediately accessible from the hallway. One enters a small anteroom, first. This is to preserve the pure integrity of the air in Loren's actual room. Also in this anteroom is a sink, where one washes for 2 minutes, the first time each day, and for 30 seconds each subsequent time to enter the room. Also, a little box of yellow face masks sits on the counter. You only have to put them on if you think you might be getting a cold, but I wear one each time I enter the room. That way, I never have to brush my teeth :-)
Loren is required to breathe into a Spirometer 10 times each hour. That is to get his lungs working again. They tend to wimp out with all the laying about. Also helps to prevent the onset of pneumonia. It is hard work for him, but he does it.
Well, that is all for this day. The hospital library is closed, so I descended two floors to a little room with a computer that is reserved for transplant patients and family members. At least, that's what I plan on telling anyone if they ask.
Keep praying. There are bound to be ups and downs with all of this. But it has been a good day. Thanks, so much for all your love, help and prayer support. May God bless each and every one of you.
This is Rochester, saying, "Goodnight."
Tweet

The Progeny
4 Comments:
Becky, Since I know how many bags of your beloved chocolate you had just a week ago and I suppose you have an excellent reason for mass consumption (pops a Dove milk chocolate)I will keep that number to myself. :) I am so thankful for the good reports. Loren sounds like he is in true Hoyt spirits!! :)
Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for you in addition to daily prayers. Love you, Elizabeth
They wouldn't happen to have any Chocolate Addicts support groups up there, would they? Sounds like "Ol' Ma" has an unhealthy chocolate problem and needs to break her addiction.
On the other hand, you could probably make a good deal of money dealing chocolate to all of the nurses, spouses, children and patients. Come to think of it, that sounds like the better idea anyways.
We're still praying for you guys... keep hanging in there.
Sorry my computer was down for a few days...kept up on happening with someone elses computer and have been rejoicing in the Lord about progress. Will keep praying for you and the kids at home. Sounds like Loren's new heart may have to get some big catch up plans to keep up with him... We have a lot of CA people praying for you as well. Love MoM
It is always nice to know prayers are "flying about" from one end of the country to the other. And, with the realtives in New Zealand, literally around the world.
Since God never sleeps, and people in many time zones are praying, I figure the petitions are going most all the time. That IS a comfort :-)
As to the chocolate, well, I still have part of the last of "those" bags left that you brought, Elizabeth. But no, I'm not sure where they all went to. I'll check my waist and get back to you.
Post a Comment
<< Home