Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Wow!

That word doesn't adequately describe the situation, but it'll do. Plus, it's nice and short.

Loren is doing very well. He is progressing just as one who's had a heart transplant would be expected to. I saw him just a few moments ago and got to be in with him for over an hour. He still has a breathing tube in, but that may come out within the next hour or so. His blood gases are good, but they left the tube in since he got to his room kinda late (10:30pm) I think they have a 12 hour time frame they stick too barring extenuating circumstances.

He wants that tube out, though, since he cannot speak and it makes his throat sore. But he is being quite compliant.

(this lady on the library computer next to me is rather distracting. She's a "hunt and pecker," to which I have no overt prejudice, but, she "hunts and pecks" with the enthusiasm of a stomping elephant. "Give it a rest, honey!")

When I talked to the surgeon last night he said everything proceeded in a normal fashion. They were actually waiting around, with Loren all ready to receive his heart. Things had gotten held up on the other end. But, Pastor John and I were both making phone calls when we heard the helicopter coming in for a landing. "Did you hear the helicopter?" "YES! Did you hear....?" He'd been waiting all day with me and when we both heard the helicopter, we knew they were bringing Loren's heart and we both pricked up our ears.

Within 10 or 15 minutes, they were sewing the heart into him. (yes, he had already been on bypass and just waiting) When we talked with the surgeon (around 9ish) the team was still removing some of the old hardware from Loren: defibrillator, leads, and coil patch in his side)

The Lord was watching out for Loren in such detail, that He gave him a surgeon who was one of 9 children. Rather appropriate, I'd say.

The first 24 hours are the most crucial. With someone like Loren, who has been on anti-coagulants long term, there is always extra bleeding to watch out for. Neurologically, they like to see the patient be able to move hands and feet at some point. But, these potential roadblocks were not an issue. I know, for I woke up at 3:03, and, not being able to sleep, called the nurse assigned to his room. (she said I could :-) She filled me in that there was no excess bleeding, and he had moved both hands and feet, though weakly. She told me LOTS of stuff, half of which I don't remember, but it was all reassuring.

Loren does have a temporary pacemaker in place, two wires coming out of his chest. His new heart actually beat on its own, but just a little slower than the doctors like to have it after transplant. They are pacing him around 110, which, he NOTICED when we "conversed" this morning. But it is all normal stuff. They also have him on a drug, Isuprel, which acts as a pacemaker. It takes time for the body to recognize the new heart and for body and heart to get "in synch" with eachother. So, many times, a temporary pacemaker is utilized. It is possible that Loren will have need of a permanent one, (some heart transplant patients do) but we won't know that for a bit, yet.

In a few days, the body will "notice" the heart, the drug will be gradually weaned off and the heart picks up.

Loren is being given a little morphine for the pain. When he coughs or laughs it really hurts, so, I am trying to keep my conversation as dry as possible :-) Each heart transplant patient is provided with a heart-shaped pillow, which they press against their chest when they need to cough.

There is an IV line going into his neck, one in his right hand, and an arterial line in his groin. The arterial line will come out about the same time as the vent, and then, they will attempt to have him sitting up on the side of his bed. Imagine, all that invasive surgery and sitting up the next day!

The nursing staff have asked me to channel any inquiries and phone calls through me. So, I'm not giving the room number out. If I'd been THINKING, I would have jotted down the ICU lounge's phone number. Oh well, later. Blogging is a quicker way of disseminating knowledge to a lot of people at once, which they can read at their leisure.

Speaking of room numbers, now that I've sent out the Christmas letters, the room number given there is out of date. (Really, we weren't expecting this quite so fast) But, I'm sure cards can be sent to:
Loren Hoyt
Saint Marys Hospital
1216 Second Street SW
Rochester, Minnesota 55902

I've read all your kind comments and let me say, "THEY MEAN A LOT TO ME."

Thank you for your prayers. There is still a great deal of work ahead. But, at least this particular hurdle is past.

A note to any caregivers of the children. It is SOOOO important that no one come who is sick, or has been exposed to sickness. I am hoping to bring the children up to visit their dad sometime this weekend. I do not even want them to go to church. Somehow, I feel God and Pastor John will understand.

Thanks to Pastor John for helping me pack up Loren's computer and for sticking so long to the arduous chore of waiting, waiting, waiting. Thanks to Weikerts, Linda in particular, for helping out with the family, and just "being there" on a rather tumultuous day.

I'll post more as I am able.

17 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

Becky, I am so happy to read your post and learn that things seem to be going so well, though I know Loren still has a long way to go. I am thanking God along with you for his love, care, and protection. I will continue to lift you all to the Lord.

11/09/2004 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD BECKY! A major hurdle has been lept! So glad to hear you've visited this morning with Loren. We are poised to help in anyway we can please don't hesitate to let us know what your needs are. Everyone has been so concerned about you all...I can prove it...I have a phone dent on my right ear :-).

Still praying and weeping with joy at times :-).
Debbie

11/09/2004 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD BECKY! A major hurdle has been lept! So glad to hear you've visited this morning with Loren. We are poised to help in anyway we can please don't hesitate to let us know what your needs are. Everyone has been so concerned about you all...I can prove it...I have a phone dent on my right ear :-).

Still praying and weeping with joy at times :-).
Debbie

11/09/2004 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Becky! What a day! I finally figured out how to find the 'post comment' button. Our hearts and prayers are with you all, and the people in our church are praying too.

Blessings,
Sharon, the elder

11/09/2004 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does it always double post on me?????

11/09/2004 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Becky - We've been hovering around waiting for each of your updates. Thanks for keeping us posted! We're so thankful for God's provision and have been praying for both of you and the kids. We're keeping our prayer teams updated, too. We love you! :) Erin

11/09/2004 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, Just a little note to let you know you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate you keeping us all abreast of everything. All I can say is God is Great. I echo Debbies' words, if there is anything at all you need please let us know. I would love to help out in any way that I can, even if it's little. Love Barb

11/09/2004 01:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, Just a little note to let you know you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate you keeping us all abreast of everything. All I can say is God is Great. I echo Debbies' words, if there is anything at all you need please let us know. I would love to help out in any way that I can, even if it's little. Love Barb

11/09/2004 01:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, Just a little note to let you know, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate you keeping us all abreast of everything. All I can say is God is Great. I echo Debbies' words, if there is anything at all you need please let us know. I would love to help out in any way that I can, even if it's little. Love Barb

11/09/2004 01:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like I beat the double posting, I'm going for 3's.

11/09/2004 01:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Bruce:
Dear Loren and Becky,
We are thanking the Lord for how He has cared for you and will continue to pray for His strength, comfort and assurance during Loren's recovery.

Lois' parents just arrived in NZ last week and Lois has gone to Auckland (6 hours drive) to visit Berwyn and Veronica and then bring them here to Hastings.

Much love, Bruce

11/09/2004 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

I guess Loren's brother Bruce gets the prize for the comment from farthest away.

I don't know why comments double post sometimes. I've had it happen for my regular posts, too.

What can I say, it's free :-)

Besides, seeing all those comments, whether doubled or not, is a real boost to the ol' morale.

11/09/2004 02:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cried when I heard that there was a heart for Loren. I am so thankful.

Sunny (a friend of Ardith)

11/09/2004 02:21:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy, here at Grace quite a few people are praying for Daddy and you and all of us, and Pleasant View has passed the news along its prayer chain.

I love you both so much.

11/09/2004 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Thanks for the note, Sunny :-)

Love you too, Sharon

11/09/2004 02:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to get the update. God is good. My family has kept you and Loren in our prayers and will continue to do so. I rushed home from work today to see if you had updated and sure enough you had. If you hadn't I was going to call Elizabeth. She has also kept us updated here in Oklahoma. My thoughts have been with you both since we got the news yesterday that there was a heart and they were going to do surgery. So glad things are going well for him.
Elizabeth's sister Kathryn

11/09/2004 05:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Loren and Aunt Becky,
We are so thankful to hear the good news of how things have gone! Praise the Lord!
I am not posting this just so that you have a comment from a place further away than my Dad's residence ... but Christchurch *is* a bit further away.
What you wrote about "it hurts to laugh" reminded me of having caesarean sections (... without trying to make *any other* comparisons between the two operations!!) After Juanita was born, Ed brought the email he'd written about her birth, with photos, in to the hospital, but his writing made me laugh too much!
Love, Liana.

11/09/2004 08:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home