Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

"Ma" Goes Prospecting

Another day of rehab, and the slave drivers bumped it up a notch. Loren was so tired he came back and promptly fell asleep in the recliner. When it got close to lunch time, I went over and sat on the bed, pondering the best way to gently awaken him. OOPS! I sat on his glasses. He proceeded to start bending them back into position without even trying them on. That's what I call executive decision making.

After lunch (it was a slow day, folks, so bear with me) I found I could not ignore the overflowing wastebaskets any longer, so I proceeded to empty them, clean the bathroom, and even swept the rug! It's amazing what you will stoop to when time hangs heavy on los manos.

All of this cleaning activity, in spite of the fact that "The Hope" was waiting for me, with the Six Day War having just commenced. I don't like to brag, but when one can put off a fascinating book for the sake of domestic ministrations, it certainly demonstrates some measure of self control, not to mention humility.

As I ventured out into the frigid air to toss my trash into the dumpster, what should I spy, but a rolled up piece of perfectly good foam! Feeling akin to my foraging fore bearers, I snatched it out, no doubt, saving it from an ignoble death in some landfill.

It looked perfectly clean, because, as we all know, they don't even let the trash in this place get dirty. Someone must have ditched it when they were released, not wanting to drag it back home with them. As I carted it up to our room, I passed one of the "sisters" in the hall, and in my haste, temporarily snagged my dumpster-find on a door knob. She cheerfully assisted in it's disentanglement, none the wiser to it's recent abode. (when you're "doing time," little things mean a lot)

Nearly intoxicated with my recent successful acquisition, I boldly proceeded to the last three bookshelves that I had not yet "cased." :-) It was there that I discovered, "To Kill a Mockingbird," "The Collected Tales of A.E. Coppard," "Disraeli," and Mark Twain's, "Life on the Mississippi." I pirated them back to our chamber, along with a couple for the hubby, by O'Reilly and Hannity.

I feel like a miser, hoarding his gold. Most of 25 books, now quietly stashed in our living quarters. My own little library, to pick and choose from as I please. I feel rich, I tell you, RICH! *furtively glances around, to make sure no one has overheard*

I must go and count my libros.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home