Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, February 14, 2005

That Time of Year

Well, it's that time of year. Time to peruse garden catalogs, forgetting about the miserable failures of last year's vegetables. Time to plan new flower borders. There is always the chance that, instead of the usual lifeless and anemic display, THIS will be the year it all comes together, with a showy cascade of blooms.

Oh yes, it's also time to order graduation announcements. See, we didn't do much for high school graduation, so, I thought we should really do something to commemorate Ardith receiving her college degree. Now, I know some parents have the student do all the planning and ordering, but I am happy to take on this small task. No, actually, it is a privilege, perhaps even an evil pleasure.

I've found a nice website (it's slow) that will send us lovely decorated sheets and envelopes, which we just run though our printer, making custom (and much cheaper) graduation announcements. Then we can get some of the kids to fold them so as to make this a real family affair. Nolan needs to practice his kindergarten skills, anyway. I haven't quite decided on the exact wording yet, but here are a few samples:

1) Down and Homey
Pa an Ma Haw-it iz jus 'bout to bust-- ar-- buttons, we iz SO proud oven dis dawt-er afarn.
("Which-a-one issen dis, Pa? I gets em so confused..." "How's I know? I done loss track fer kids ago, Ma. Jus pick uh name outta dee hat. It don't likely madder, much. Dem techies be all alocks...Bye dee way, what iz a 'farn?'") Wall, enyways, arn lil' gurl, Ardith, has done reeeel good. She be fixin' ta grad-jee-ate froma this hear Yune-vers-tee calt (lessee, whut waz dat...) "Let-her-go." Yess, ah thinks dat be it. "Dee Yune-vers-tee uh Let-her-go."
She dun got herself a reel nice job, an she's a gorner bah ussen uh manshun somewheres neerbye so's we's kin all liv wither. Y'all come visit us. Ah knowd she'd lock tha-yut. (p.s. Dontch'all call her, fust, causin' she luvs s'prizes)

2) Somewhat Conventional
It is with great pleasure, that Loren and Rebecca Hoyt, announce the upcoming graduation of Ardith Hoyt from LeTourneau University. Etymologically speaking, the word "Letourneau," comes from the French word for "The turning water." We are fairly certain this speaks of some relationship to the invention of the first flush toilet, but we are not absolutely positive. What we are sure about, is that there is absolutely no relationship to this mechanism and the quality of our daughter's degree. We just thought it amusing, and since it came up in prayer group, we are somewhat confident it does not connote gossip. Oh yes, Congratulations to our daughter.

3) Rap
"Yo. Ar-do.
We want the world to know.
It looks like you will graduate in just a month or so."

"You. Are cool.
You are nobody's fool.
Soon you'll earn some money that would make yo daddy drool."

"Clap. Yo hands.
Bring out all the bands.
Ar-do is a techie, now and gives out the commands."

"Yo. Ar-do. Yo. Ard-do. Yo. Ar-do......"
________________

Well, that's all I've come up with so far. Not to seem manipulative, or anything, but increasingly bizarre versions could well come about, depending on how long it takes someone to pick out her design preference.

Who knew being a mom could be such fun?

7 Comments:

Blogger MoM said...

Oh, such a creative Mom. You have inspired me to become more creative and threating to my kids. But, I know you are really proud of Ardith and are justified in being so. Are you headed down for graduation? Like you the garden cataloges are out and the online offers are coming in. So many different choices....what shall we do???

2/14/2005 04:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for #1...no need to be more creative than that...Just seems to be the most homey touch of all!

2/14/2005 05:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for #1...no need to be more creative than that...Just seems to be the most homey touch of all!

2/14/2005 05:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me .....Deb
First it wouldn't let me post and then it nearly grabbed the post off my fingertips...

2/14/2005 05:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....TWICE.....Aughhhhhhh!

2/14/2005 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

MoM, we are planning on coming for graduation, Lord willing. I can hardly wait! Must firm up these ideas for a musical....

Deb, fear not! I will take any comments I can. Even repeated ones. Take comfort in the fact that you do not hold the record for the most unintentional comments. You were beaten out by a Let student who remains anonymous pending entrance into the "Witness Protection Program."

Daniel, ordinarily, I wouldn't have entered a rap selection. But, I figured that since my brother-in-law, who is a minister of a Reformed church in New Zealand, and, actually, is somewhat of a "higher-up" amongst the leadership in the denomination, and therefore must remain anonymous, lest he be unwittingly forced into the "Witness Protection Program" *surfaces for air* "GASP" took part in a rapper version of a song at his very own son's wedding reception.

(where was I?) Oh yes, since HE did it, I figured that pretty well gave me carte blanche to do the same.

I'll start practicing.

2/14/2005 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy, I thought you hated rap with a vengeance. Or was that just another front?

As long as you don't enlist any of us to help.

2/14/2005 06:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home