Preparations
The young menfolk are keyed up in anticipation of a huge, we're talkin' HUGE event scheduled for tomorrow. I speak, of course, of the inaugural launching of the first, ever, "Boys' Bonanza."
Over the years, the boys have always scorned us womenfolk going off to our twice yearly attack of the Goodwill stores. Oh, they complained a little bit about our stopping at Arby's to eat lunch, but they were supremely glad to be left out of that tiresome chore of acquiring "new" (as in different) clothes. We always threw them a few bones for pacification purposes, such as a video and hot dogs for supper. The video helped entertain the little kids and the hot dogs were something they could actually be trusted to make properly.
Maybe it's the new age of the sensitive male, or maybe these guys are just growing too quickly out of their clothes, but tomorrow I am taking 3 males on a shopping trip. Jason (17), Derek (13) and Ethan. The last boy is only 8, but his capacity to feel slighted knows no bounds, and he thinks big. He thinks he should be about 15.
But, just to prove they were not giving in entirely to female pursuits, they engaged in a raucous out-of-doors activity that we shall call "WARFARE." It centered around the old blue van and involved using decrepit tennis balls as grenades.
Then, having reestablished their predatory and conquering roles for one more day, they assumed civility and came indoors to clean their room and fold their clothes. (a prerequisite to the big day) This would have worked better if I had remembered that their light switch is out of order, but a proper boy never allows hindered sight to hamper his cleaning efforts. In fact, it usually works out better that way.
And so, they look forward to tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion they are mostly going for the chance to have lunch at Arby's. I wonder if they will be so enthusiastic after we hit the second Goodwill store? I wonder if the perfect clothes are waiting, just for them, on some shadowy rack, or in a neglected bin?
Oh well, at least they will have achieved fast-food parity. Tweet
Over the years, the boys have always scorned us womenfolk going off to our twice yearly attack of the Goodwill stores. Oh, they complained a little bit about our stopping at Arby's to eat lunch, but they were supremely glad to be left out of that tiresome chore of acquiring "new" (as in different) clothes. We always threw them a few bones for pacification purposes, such as a video and hot dogs for supper. The video helped entertain the little kids and the hot dogs were something they could actually be trusted to make properly.
Maybe it's the new age of the sensitive male, or maybe these guys are just growing too quickly out of their clothes, but tomorrow I am taking 3 males on a shopping trip. Jason (17), Derek (13) and Ethan. The last boy is only 8, but his capacity to feel slighted knows no bounds, and he thinks big. He thinks he should be about 15.
But, just to prove they were not giving in entirely to female pursuits, they engaged in a raucous out-of-doors activity that we shall call "WARFARE." It centered around the old blue van and involved using decrepit tennis balls as grenades.
Then, having reestablished their predatory and conquering roles for one more day, they assumed civility and came indoors to clean their room and fold their clothes. (a prerequisite to the big day) This would have worked better if I had remembered that their light switch is out of order, but a proper boy never allows hindered sight to hamper his cleaning efforts. In fact, it usually works out better that way.
And so, they look forward to tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion they are mostly going for the chance to have lunch at Arby's. I wonder if they will be so enthusiastic after we hit the second Goodwill store? I wonder if the perfect clothes are waiting, just for them, on some shadowy rack, or in a neglected bin?
Oh well, at least they will have achieved fast-food parity. Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home