Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Pickin' Cones and Pitchin' Stones

Ah, spring. That time of year when innocent little children frolic in the green meadows, twining fragrant wildflowers into fairy crowns to adorn each other's hair.

In another world, maybe.

Around here, spring is the time to pick up ALL the pine cones in the yard. This is the main purpose of conifers: dropping pine cones. I guess they think no one will notice. Perhaps they feel entitled to special privileges, what with staying green all winter and looking so very wonderlandish with snow upon the boughs.

But come spring, it's payback time. Pinecones all OVER the yard. There are the loose kind that crunch under one's feet. Then, there are the tightly packed cones that become deadly missiles when launched by the indiscriminate blade of a mower. Thus, we pick up. THIS year, unbeknownst to me, Carolyn rushed through her school several days in a row and managed to pick up five trash bags of cones, with a little help from Ethan. Atta girl, Carolyn!

Another sign of spring is the annual "ditch-stone pitch-out." We took a 50 minute break from school today, and swarmed the ditch for this purpose. Living on a gravel road has it's good and bad points. There is the quiet, laid back kind of atmosphere, but there is also a bounty of stones that appear every spring. I'd always assumed they just pop up, sorta like mushrooms after a rain. However, I am beginning to suspect that they are really put there by the road graders during snow plowing. Yes, you have to get up pret-ty early to put one over on ol' Ma.

Anyway, while they were tossing stones back onto the road, I gathered up the remaining fragments of pinecones and discovered that, not only were there not enough to feed the family, they weren't even edible! (But they do leave a nice sticky residue on one's hands) They made a lovely, hot fire :-) But getting back to stoning--I figure just 3 or 4 more days, and we may be half done. (Boy, Ardith, I'll bet you really miss this part of home life..... )

With warm weather inundating us, and hard work out of doors, I was sorely tempted to dig out a pair of shorts. Naturally, I issued an alert for small animals and young children. There's nothing worse than the shell shocked look of a freaked out youngin' who has just seen a pair of pasty, varicosed veined legs. Personally, though, I always get a thrill out of having that kind of an effect on people. (and animals) *smirk* It takes so little to amuse some of us.
__________________

On the graduation front, I have nailed down a reservation for a pavilion at a local (Longview, Texas) park. I am most happy! I have made plans, only slacked off a little, and the fruits of my labors are starting to ripen. At this rate, I may even get Ardith's graduation announcements mailed out by the end of summer. (down girl, down! no need to get cocky)

So, here's to spring, to budding greenery and graduating seniors. To Western Meadowlarks and Red Winged Blackbirds.

And most of all, here's to being productive AND frightening, all at the same time.

Multi-tasking--I love it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Ellis said...

I must tell you, no self-respecting Southern woman would appear in public (or private for that matter) in shorts until she had been to the tanning bed at least 4 times.

Guess that's why I am not a self-respecting southern woman

Sunny

4/06/2005 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Hi Sunny :-)

*looks around and whispers*

I actually have a tanning bed. It's called the GARDEN. And, the LAWN, when I mow. Though, work jeans and rolled up T-shirt sleeves make it a tad difficult to find clothing that matches up exactly with the tan lines....

You must enlighten me to other social mores of the Southern woman. I would hate to make an inadvertent protocol transgression while down there for "grat-jee-ay-shun."

4/06/2005 07:01:00 PM  
Blogger MoM said...

Well Ma....speaking from experience and also having lived in the great town of Longview there will be little you can do that will please any southern bell. First off, you are not southern and northern people are never considered to be people of culture...from a true southern bells eyes. So don't bother trying to please them, just go and have a great time and give them something to talk about for the next 8 years or so till the next Hoyt graduates. Or maybe in a few years when a couple of Gullman's graduate we can top it.?!

4/07/2005 12:37:00 AM  
Blogger Vengeful Cynic said...

You know, there are several things that I am beholden to point out as a Yankee in good standing.

1) It's Southern Belle.

2) I wouldn't worry about what the denizens of Longview consider as culture. Regardless of what great wealth of culture the rest of the south may or may not be in posession of, I think an excerpt from the Longview Chamber of Commerce's website says it best:
"The community has a convention center, a modern public library, the LeTourneau University Library, the Gregg County Historical Museum, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, 25 movie screens, a rodeo arena, fair grounds, pavilions, and an exhibit building."

Not to belabor the point, but the R.G. LeTourneau Museum is a lackluster collection of 3 or 4 decent models, a bunch of plaques and keys to cities, and news clippings. The LeTourneau University Library was stocked in the mid to late 60's and has been accumulating books at a rate of 25 a year ever since. I don't want to hate on the Longview Museum of Fine Arts... but the thing is the size of a mid-sized studio and the list goes on. Long story short, Longviewers aren't and should never be judges of culture. Ignore them.

3) There is no protocol as such in Longview other than to be very careful while driving lest ye be hit by the horrid drivers. Oh yeah, and be careful what gang signs you display whilst in South Longview.

4/07/2005 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I feel beholden to point out that it's pos-S-ession. See line 6 of previous comment.

4/08/2005 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

I have just received word that a visitation from my godmother, "Granny Whiff," could be imminent.

She is learned in the culture of country folk, and I'm talking backcountry.

No doubt, she wishes to "learn me" in the ways and wiles of her people.

*sigh* This could be a long weekend....

4/08/2005 09:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home