Ma's Literary Corner
Before we get all erudite let's establish a few facts:
1) It's crazy cold right now! Woke up to -15 air temp and -32 wind chill. For a bit it got even colder with an air temperature of -18. Currently it's moderated to a more reasonable -12 with only -24 wind chill.
2) We're going to the library this afternoon
3) Every time we have a library trip planned, I wake up several hours early. God does this so I can finish the last library book I forgot about until an alarm goes off in my head in the wee hours of the morning.
4) I don't usually choose the coldest day of the year to go out, but there were several mitigating factors:
a) Yesterday looked 'out' since there was a forecast of blowing and drifting snow for the afternoon.
b) Tomorrow looked iffy since the weather peoples had mentioned a 'chance of snow.' (the 'chance of snow' earlier this week turned out to be 5 inches)
c) Sooner or later I had to pick a day, so I did, and adjusted certain school requirements accordingly. After that decision, the forecast for tomorrow changed...
d) I'm not in the mood for any more changes, so we're goin' today and that's final!
____________________
The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them
Edited by Roxanne J. Coady & Joy Johannessen
Ma saw this small volume of 189 pages and immediately was struck by two things...1) It looked interesting and 2) I might even finish it before the two month deadline.
Each author only takes up 1-3 pages, not too daunting a task for my short attention span.
It wasn't long before my index card bookmark was made messy by the pen and pencil scribblings of books and authors to be read...'Camus, Gertrude Stein' and 'G.K. Chesterton.'
The book To Kill a Mockingbird came up for three different authors, as well it should.
Some entries I took note of for the author's book selection, and some I jotted down for the writer's description of their favorite book...I wanted to read what they wrote.
But here is a sample of one that caught my eye and made me chuckle...author Michael Stern claimed the book that changed his life, the one that he read the most, was the Sears Catalogue.
I'm more of a book person, myself :-) though I doubt life will permit all delectable possibilities to be devoured.
Keep warm.
Stay inside.
Read.
Tweet
1) It's crazy cold right now! Woke up to -15 air temp and -32 wind chill. For a bit it got even colder with an air temperature of -18. Currently it's moderated to a more reasonable -12 with only -24 wind chill.
2) We're going to the library this afternoon
3) Every time we have a library trip planned, I wake up several hours early. God does this so I can finish the last library book I forgot about until an alarm goes off in my head in the wee hours of the morning.
4) I don't usually choose the coldest day of the year to go out, but there were several mitigating factors:
a) Yesterday looked 'out' since there was a forecast of blowing and drifting snow for the afternoon.
b) Tomorrow looked iffy since the weather peoples had mentioned a 'chance of snow.' (the 'chance of snow' earlier this week turned out to be 5 inches)
c) Sooner or later I had to pick a day, so I did, and adjusted certain school requirements accordingly. After that decision, the forecast for tomorrow changed...
d) I'm not in the mood for any more changes, so we're goin' today and that's final!
____________________
The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them
Edited by Roxanne J. Coady & Joy Johannessen
Ma saw this small volume of 189 pages and immediately was struck by two things...1) It looked interesting and 2) I might even finish it before the two month deadline.
Each author only takes up 1-3 pages, not too daunting a task for my short attention span.
It wasn't long before my index card bookmark was made messy by the pen and pencil scribblings of books and authors to be read...'Camus, Gertrude Stein' and 'G.K. Chesterton.'
The book To Kill a Mockingbird came up for three different authors, as well it should.
Some entries I took note of for the author's book selection, and some I jotted down for the writer's description of their favorite book...I wanted to read what they wrote.
But here is a sample of one that caught my eye and made me chuckle...author Michael Stern claimed the book that changed his life, the one that he read the most, was the Sears Catalogue.
"It was my window on the world. Poring over the Sears catalogue and looking at its pictures taught me more about everything than anything I have ever read. I relished reading about the material lives that were nothing like my own. Where else could a nice Jewish boy growing up in a polite Midwestern suburb learn the differences between gas-powered and electric-powered arc welders, the advantage of a short-throw, lever-action hunting rifle, the serenity to be found in a family Bible with self-pronouncing type, and the superiority of let-out skins over split skins in a mink stole?"
I'm more of a book person, myself :-) though I doubt life will permit all delectable possibilities to be devoured.
Keep warm.
Stay inside.
Read.
Tweet

The Progeny
1 Comments:
Going to the library on the worst winter days must be an unconscious telepathic time-spanning family tradition. I remember that once when we kids went, that winter of '04-'05, it was very cold and very windy! though not snowing. It's still painful to remember. The things that commitment to books forces on us!
Post a Comment
<< Home