Life in the Yard
I won't go into the problems I've had with posting pictures, but I think most of that is semi-settled, now.
At any rate, on with some yard life :-) (click on pictures to enlarge)
Dayflower. It's basically a weed, but a nice weed.

This Johnny Jumpup made it's way from one front bed to another, and altered it's coloring in the process.
Elderberry bush. You just can't beat that white flower head against a blue sky.

Oh looky...the cucumbers are flowering. Cukes to come in a week or two.

Solomon's Seal, in bloom. The name comes from the root configuration, which I don't intend to dig up and show you right now...

Here is the berry which forms after the blooming period.
I ran across an interesting blurb concerning the healing properties of this plant. It was written by someone named 'Gerard,' who I've not been able to track down but obviously wrote long ago in the old English...
(and people wonder why 'women's rights' got its start...but I digress)
Hollyhocks
As I've mentioned before, this flower looks best against the faded paint of an old house or barn.
Last but not least, this year my 'Lizzie Miller Rose' outdid itself :-)
Bloomed all over the place in June. It's an old sturdy variety that needs no winter protection. Spreads readily too, so let me know if anyone wants a start...
Tweet
At any rate, on with some yard life :-) (click on pictures to enlarge)
Dayflower. It's basically a weed, but a nice weed.
This Johnny Jumpup made it's way from one front bed to another, and altered it's coloring in the process.
Elderberry bush. You just can't beat that white flower head against a blue sky.
Oh looky...the cucumbers are flowering. Cukes to come in a week or two.
Solomon's Seal, in bloom. The name comes from the root configuration, which I don't intend to dig up and show you right now...
Here is the berry which forms after the blooming period.
"The roots of Solomon's Seal, stamped while it is fresh and greene and applied, taketh away in one night or two at the most, any bruise, blacke or blew spots gotten by falls or women's wilfulness in stumbling upin their hastie husband's fists, or such like."
(and people wonder why 'women's rights' got its start...but I digress)
Hollyhocks
Last but not least, this year my 'Lizzie Miller Rose' outdid itself :-)
Tweet

The Progeny
5 Comments:
I think Blogger tricked you. The photo/cutlines don't appear to match up. But the pictures are nice.
Yes, I realized that as soon as I published and am trying like mad to fix it...
hmm. i may have to get some gardening tips once we get moved into our new house!
I love your flowers! Did your grandma teach you how to make dancing girls out of hollyhocks? That is a favorite childhood memory of mine.
Oh Anna...your comment made me jump over to your blog...CONGRATULATIONS!!
Thainamu, an older lady in our church taught the hollyhock doll (don't know if it's the same one) to a girl, who in turn showed Kendra. I'll have to have her make one and put up a photo of it :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home