Anyways....
...it only took about half an hour to get on by dial-up!
If I get really brave, after posting, I could check my email, though technically I already have today. I called home and when Derek answered, I had him pull up the tabs on my computer and check my email for me. Sounds convoluted, but it was definitely faster than this, heh, heh.
Sorry to be out of circulation for a bit, but aside from the very slow dial-up connection and not wanting to tie up the phone line during the day, I need to check on Mom fairly often and it just hasn't been convenient to post. However, this last time I couldn't get back to sleep, so that must be a sign to bother people over the Internet :-)
I am glad to be out here (hopefully) helping out, but I do miss my family, very much.
Mom still rests and sleeps a lot, but we did have some good things happen these past two days. On Friday, Nancy and I were able to get Mom sitting up in a chair,beside her bed, for around 30 minutes. We took advantage of this time to completely change the linens and give Mom a good freshening up with the waterless cleanser from the pharmacy. Even so, being brought up a certain way, we still felt compelled to do some rinsing off. Guess we are old-fashioned. Nancy was also able to comb and braid Mom's hair. We assume that made her feel some better.
Today was another milestone in that we got Mom up again, this time in a wheel chair and out to the living room. Soon after that occurred, Mom's pastor stopped by and so he was able to visit a bit.
Mom was tolerating the new position so well, that she had a snack, dozed in the wheelchair for quite a while, and then we moved her out to the kitchen for supper, later. There is a TV on the table and Mom and I got to watch Lawrence Welk while dining on grilled cheese and her famous pineapple jello salad, the later of which Nancy had made out of sugar free jello.
There is one pill that she takes twice a day, which is VERY LARGE. It now has to be broken up in four pieces and ground into a powder and mixed with yogurt. That process in itself takes (me) about 15 minutes, and everything has to be prepared and set up before helping Mom to eat. She can do very will with cut up hand-held food like sandwiches or toast, but needs help with the other stuff.
At this point there is not a lot of communication from her, though she will answer in short phrases, unless she is extremely tired.
Speaking of which, we had her up in the wheelchair for so long that she kinda conked out when it came to bedtime. But with a helpful suggestion from Nancy, Mom turned herself over on her left side to sleep, for the first time in a couple weeks. I imagine Mom has gotten tired of laying on her back, much of the time, and it's supposed to be good to change positions. Changing positions has been hampered, however, by a very sore right hip and also lingering soreness in her neck. The neck pain seems to be getting better, from comparisons to before I arrived.
Perhaps a dry recital of symptoms, you say? Well, I have a hard time finding a humorous spin, at the moment.
Anyway, God doesn't say we have to laugh, all the time.
But there have been some good accomplishments, as in the sitting up, described above.
Another bright spot will be Sharon and Kendra driving up from Warsaw, tomorrow, around 1:00. It will be good to see my girls! Sharon is fixing food for a little Easter celebration, I guess, and I will be so glad to see them, I don't even care if she doesn't bring something of a chocolate nature!
Besides, I still have a nearly full bag of Dove's in my purse.
I do think Mom will enjoy seeing two of her grandkids.
Also, my brother Doug will be coming over to visit later in the afternoon, so it will be fairly full day. I imagine we might get Mom up out of bed for some of that visiting.
Sorry if there are typos or less communication. Working under certain constrictions, as just evidenced by the little box that popped up, "Do you wish to stay online?"
Mercy....Ma had best publish without delay..
Tweet
If I get really brave, after posting, I could check my email, though technically I already have today. I called home and when Derek answered, I had him pull up the tabs on my computer and check my email for me. Sounds convoluted, but it was definitely faster than this, heh, heh.
Sorry to be out of circulation for a bit, but aside from the very slow dial-up connection and not wanting to tie up the phone line during the day, I need to check on Mom fairly often and it just hasn't been convenient to post. However, this last time I couldn't get back to sleep, so that must be a sign to bother people over the Internet :-)
I am glad to be out here (hopefully) helping out, but I do miss my family, very much.
Mom still rests and sleeps a lot, but we did have some good things happen these past two days. On Friday, Nancy and I were able to get Mom sitting up in a chair,beside her bed, for around 30 minutes. We took advantage of this time to completely change the linens and give Mom a good freshening up with the waterless cleanser from the pharmacy. Even so, being brought up a certain way, we still felt compelled to do some rinsing off. Guess we are old-fashioned. Nancy was also able to comb and braid Mom's hair. We assume that made her feel some better.
Today was another milestone in that we got Mom up again, this time in a wheel chair and out to the living room. Soon after that occurred, Mom's pastor stopped by and so he was able to visit a bit.
Mom was tolerating the new position so well, that she had a snack, dozed in the wheelchair for quite a while, and then we moved her out to the kitchen for supper, later. There is a TV on the table and Mom and I got to watch Lawrence Welk while dining on grilled cheese and her famous pineapple jello salad, the later of which Nancy had made out of sugar free jello.
There is one pill that she takes twice a day, which is VERY LARGE. It now has to be broken up in four pieces and ground into a powder and mixed with yogurt. That process in itself takes (me) about 15 minutes, and everything has to be prepared and set up before helping Mom to eat. She can do very will with cut up hand-held food like sandwiches or toast, but needs help with the other stuff.
At this point there is not a lot of communication from her, though she will answer in short phrases, unless she is extremely tired.
Speaking of which, we had her up in the wheelchair for so long that she kinda conked out when it came to bedtime. But with a helpful suggestion from Nancy, Mom turned herself over on her left side to sleep, for the first time in a couple weeks. I imagine Mom has gotten tired of laying on her back, much of the time, and it's supposed to be good to change positions. Changing positions has been hampered, however, by a very sore right hip and also lingering soreness in her neck. The neck pain seems to be getting better, from comparisons to before I arrived.
Perhaps a dry recital of symptoms, you say? Well, I have a hard time finding a humorous spin, at the moment.
Anyway, God doesn't say we have to laugh, all the time.
But there have been some good accomplishments, as in the sitting up, described above.
Another bright spot will be Sharon and Kendra driving up from Warsaw, tomorrow, around 1:00. It will be good to see my girls! Sharon is fixing food for a little Easter celebration, I guess, and I will be so glad to see them, I don't even care if she doesn't bring something of a chocolate nature!
Besides, I still have a nearly full bag of Dove's in my purse.
I do think Mom will enjoy seeing two of her grandkids.
Also, my brother Doug will be coming over to visit later in the afternoon, so it will be fairly full day. I imagine we might get Mom up out of bed for some of that visiting.
Sorry if there are typos or less communication. Working under certain constrictions, as just evidenced by the little box that popped up, "Do you wish to stay online?"
Mercy....Ma had best publish without delay..
Tweet

The Progeny
2 Comments:
Welcome to Hoosierland!
Just got caught up on your blog posts from the haircut story on.
BTW, I cut family members' hair until they objected, except for husband's, going on 40 years already!
Then there was the hose story. I certainly understand why the young can't be bothered. I'm gettin' there, not that I'm young.
So, how old will Ardith be and when?
Grace & wisdom to you as you care for your Mom.
Ardith will hit the big 26 in the last week. Her birthday has an "8" and a "2" in it :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home