Humdinger of a Day
It has been.
I managed to get off on time. The Green Dragon Lady Lincoln cooperated by actually starting (ever a tenuous prospect), but I can't say as much for the Diet Coke in Webster City's McDonald's.
Weird flavor from the Coke machine and Ma will make certain she never stops THERE, again.
I only drove past Kennedy Park once, managing to arrive slightly before start time. The people in charge had not received my check, but knew it was somewhere in the system, so....*sigh*
There were probably 40 people at the workshop, and very informative, it was. Mucho informationo. Had the top entomologist from ISU, as well as the head horticulturalist. Actually, I don't know if they are the HEAD people, per se, but they are tops in Ma's book! I call them "Bug Dude" and "Tree Dude." Very knowledgeable and interesting fellows. Almost makes Ma want to go back to school! But that would curtail my weeding and mowing so, maybe not...
Lots of power-point goodness and plenty of bug and tree damage pictures.
Oh yes, I did find out that officially, Iowa has not been infiltrated by the Emerald Ash Borer, as of yet. The area where the larva was found has been searched and searched and there is no sign of infestation. Probably another conspiracy at work.
I won't go into all the details of the workshop, but it was very helpful, and after I complete a few educational modules online (yeah, I didn't know about that, but they should be easy), I can be an official First Detector! No doubt, a nifty uniform and badge are in the offing. And don't worry, I will not let this additional authority change my simple, humble self. In any way. Probably.
Managed to do the weekly shopping on my way home through Iowa Falls, and thanks to Ethan and the innovation of frozen pizza, supper was ready upon my arrival :-)
It was also good to hear that, miracle of miracles, NO ONE GOT IN TROUBLE WHILE I WAS AWAY! The kids followed through with my instructions to: 1) have an early lunch, 2) process all the cherries that had been picked and stored in the freezer (I think this kept them occupied for quite a while, heh, heh), and 3) watch The Great Mouse Detective.
Not so good to hear--and you're not gonna believe this--a bat...yes, a BAT had been found caught in a mouse trap, up in Derek and Ethan's room! Derek said it looked like it had just sat down on the trap, which, by the way, was on the floor and not hanging from the ceiling (the ceiling being the obvious place I would have set a mousetrap, IF trying to catch a bat, IN one).
After supper I went right to work with the handy-Ma's secret weapon, duct tape. Hopefully, all the cracks and holes have been taped over.
This pest control business just never ends.
(sleep well, tonight, guys....)
Tweet
I managed to get off on time. The Green Dragon Lady Lincoln cooperated by actually starting (ever a tenuous prospect), but I can't say as much for the Diet Coke in Webster City's McDonald's.
Weird flavor from the Coke machine and Ma will make certain she never stops THERE, again.
I only drove past Kennedy Park once, managing to arrive slightly before start time. The people in charge had not received my check, but knew it was somewhere in the system, so....*sigh*
There were probably 40 people at the workshop, and very informative, it was. Mucho informationo. Had the top entomologist from ISU, as well as the head horticulturalist. Actually, I don't know if they are the HEAD people, per se, but they are tops in Ma's book! I call them "Bug Dude" and "Tree Dude." Very knowledgeable and interesting fellows. Almost makes Ma want to go back to school! But that would curtail my weeding and mowing so, maybe not...
Lots of power-point goodness and plenty of bug and tree damage pictures.
Oh yes, I did find out that officially, Iowa has not been infiltrated by the Emerald Ash Borer, as of yet. The area where the larva was found has been searched and searched and there is no sign of infestation. Probably another conspiracy at work.
I won't go into all the details of the workshop, but it was very helpful, and after I complete a few educational modules online (yeah, I didn't know about that, but they should be easy), I can be an official First Detector! No doubt, a nifty uniform and badge are in the offing. And don't worry, I will not let this additional authority change my simple, humble self. In any way. Probably.
Managed to do the weekly shopping on my way home through Iowa Falls, and thanks to Ethan and the innovation of frozen pizza, supper was ready upon my arrival :-)
It was also good to hear that, miracle of miracles, NO ONE GOT IN TROUBLE WHILE I WAS AWAY! The kids followed through with my instructions to: 1) have an early lunch, 2) process all the cherries that had been picked and stored in the freezer (I think this kept them occupied for quite a while, heh, heh), and 3) watch The Great Mouse Detective.
Not so good to hear--and you're not gonna believe this--a bat...yes, a BAT had been found caught in a mouse trap, up in Derek and Ethan's room! Derek said it looked like it had just sat down on the trap, which, by the way, was on the floor and not hanging from the ceiling (the ceiling being the obvious place I would have set a mousetrap, IF trying to catch a bat, IN one).
After supper I went right to work with the handy-Ma's secret weapon, duct tape. Hopefully, all the cracks and holes have been taped over.
This pest control business just never ends.
(sleep well, tonight, guys....)
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home