October in July
"I wanted my self, to not shake forever,
Did I get too cold at the fair?
To freeze in July, oh what's with this weather,
Did I get too cold at the fair?"
We did get to the Franklin County Fair, yesterday, though in retrospect, winter coats would not have been unwelcome. Cloudy and 60 degrees, with a stiff breeze....brrrr! We stopped by Deb Currier's booth and she was doing a brisk business in sweatshirts.
We spent the rest of the afternoon darting in and out of buildings, between arctic blasts. OK, that's an exaggeration, as apparently I was the only one who was freezing 98% of the time.
First we looked at some animals.
Bunny to bunny....
Then we sat up in a small grandstand, which doubled as a people-freezing machine, and watched an animal show...
After that, we headed over to the homemade ice cream stand, where it seemed to take a long time to fill our meager 7 ice creams order. I could feel great waves of heat billowing out of their building and tried not to be envious of the chocolate chip cookies they were munching among themselves.
We went inside the caboose to eat our ice cream and shiver in peace.
Then we ambled over to the ride section--big mistake--as we'd thought it surely wouldn't cost too much for some of the younger ones to take just one ride...
THREE DOLLARS PER KID
So the youngest 4 went, with Kendra going halvsies to help pay.
Trevor is all excited to be riding the "Jumping Dumbos," while Carolyn hides her face in shame...
I thought it might be nice for the kids to experience some traditional fair food, and Kendra volunteered to buy some funnel cakes.
And when I discovered they cost FIVE DOLLARS APIECE, I decided one could be shared, between us. Hey, all they need is a TASTE.
We did the usual routine of looking through all the little shops in their historic town, which is one of the reasons we go to the Franklin County Fair, and not Butler's.
Then we availed ourselves of a tractor ride, one of many circulating the grounds, to get back to where we'd parked the van.
Got home just in time to curl up in a blanket on the couch and snooze through the evening news.
Which reminds me, I need another nap.
Tweet

The Progeny
1 Comments:
I love county fairs! I love funnel cakes and other fair food (vinegar fries and freshly dipped corn dogs). Looking at the animals and the displays in the 4H building and the Grange building and... the GIANT vegetables (the county fair in Hillsdale is in late Sept.)... *sigh*
Post a Comment
<< Home