Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

I'm Ba-ack!

Did you miss me?

That's the first time I performed a two-day turn around to Warsaw and back.

Nolan traveled right well, particularly if he was kept stoked up on snacks and drinks. Not that he was begging at all, it just seemed prudent. And that in itself added 45 minutes to the trip east.

Another 45 minutes accrued due to an accident in Chicago. After creep/sitting along 80 and spying five more miles to 65, I turned off at an exit and meandered my way down to Merriville. Even with the school bus and the road construction, it was still faster than 80 under Chicago.

But Nolan and I were plenty ready to hit Warsaw, let me tell you! And I once again learned a valuable lesson: Never, NEVER start through Chicago without taking a restroom break. No catastrophe, but it was highly reminiscent of the ultrasonic torture they perform on pregnant women.

This is also the first time I've driven while undergoing hot flashes. Sorta helps to keep you awake, once you've determined you're not going up in flames.

Our hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Felts, took us out to Pizza Hut for their supper buffet. YUM. Unfortunately, I realized the cell phone had been left back in our car, so Loren didn't get notified of our safe arrival until about 90 minutes past. Not intentional, but reciprocal for one of his past trips, heh, heh.

When we got to Kendra's dorm the next morning, it was quickly apparent that I might have to mail Nolan home, there was THAT MUCH STUFF!

We got it in, but the trunk was jammed as well as most of the back seat up to the ceiling. We did manage to carve out a small cave-like space for Nolan, however.

The trip home took a bit more time than planned, as before we left the parking lot I asked Kendra, "Did you check out, then?"

OOPS!

That taken care of, we hit Wal*Mart for drinks and snacks to last until lunch, then it was finally, "Westward Ho!"

Kendra drove after we crossed the Mississippi, a great help to me as I was getting sleepy and the ol' back and neck were quite stressed. We managed to arrive safely home despite the blocked rear view mirror and high winds.

After we lugged in the hundreds of items from Kendra's year at college, Nolan headed straight for his computer, like a moth to an acetylene torch. Poor guy...he'd been deprived of his one true love, for an entire day and a half!

Thankfully, that didn't last long. He was so tired of being cooped up in the back seat all day that he's outside kicking around the soccer ball while Kendra and the other kids verbally cut each other to ribbons reconnect in the living room.

And since they took over my dishes for the past two days, I know what needs to be done...
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home