Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Caterpillar-Cam!

This is the first time we've captured a monarch and been able to see all 5 instars (molts). To bad I didn't take a picture that very first night when it was around 3 millimeters, because it had molted by the next morning.

Almost every day the crazy thing was bigger. Very cool to observe.

Here we see "Tiger" hanging from the jar lid (last Tuesday evening), a sure sign that he will soon go into chrysalis.

And he did, by the next morning.

Trevor saw him hanging and notices that some of his white stripes were already thickening into green, so it was exciting for the kids to see a new aspect to the process.

(by the way, any chocolate mustache you see on Trevor is due having just eaten ice cream when this picture was taken)

We've already found another caterpillar, probably on its next to last molt, so that makes two butterflies in the Hoyt Monarch farm.
___________________

In other news, with Bible school completed, I have no recourse but to start back with school for Trevor and Nolan. A few odds and ends to finish up from the school year, and then it's off to the summer schedule of review to keep them from forgetting what small progress we made over the school year.

I knew there was a reason I was filled with impending doom, this evening.

Sure was a nice week, though....*sigh*....accomplished a lot of weeding. Meaning Ma was out-of-doors. Meaning Ma was feeling good in the ol' sunshine and fresh air.

My best molts don't seem to last as long as I'd like.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home