It's OK to be female and hairy...
...if you're a woodpecker.
At least, I think that's what this is.
Looked out the window at lunchtime and was amazed to see this black and white bird scooting along the trunk of our ash tree. Quite possibly it was blown in on the winds of the storm that dropped an astounding 1 inch of snow in our area.
I haven't done a thorough search, but based on the size of the bird (bigger than a Downy woodpecker would be) and the large bill, I've dubbed it a Hairy Woodpecker.
I figure it's a female since it doesn't have a red patch on the back of the head like the swaggering males do.
I'm open to discussion, though...
Tweet
At least, I think that's what this is.
Looked out the window at lunchtime and was amazed to see this black and white bird scooting along the trunk of our ash tree. Quite possibly it was blown in on the winds of the storm that dropped an astounding 1 inch of snow in our area.
I haven't done a thorough search, but based on the size of the bird (bigger than a Downy woodpecker would be) and the large bill, I've dubbed it a Hairy Woodpecker.
I figure it's a female since it doesn't have a red patch on the back of the head like the swaggering males do.
I'm open to discussion, though...
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home