Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It Was SO Hot Outside...

"HOW HOT WAS IT?"

It was SO hot outside, that Ma could not prevent dematerialization into her shape-shifter liquefied state. Seeping into the ground, she conversed with the worms and beetles and discovered that they too, have a polarized political world, broken down into the two disparate sides of 'charcoal states and ecru states.'

Fortunately, it was cool enough underground that I was soon able to return to my common apparition of 'plump-and-short female nearing 50 who likes to do awful jobs out in the yard that nobody else has the creative flair is desperate enough to attempt.'
____________

Yesterday I dug all of my lilies and ferns out from their previous home surrounding the tank. That was after I got back from, quite literally, 'bringing home the bacon.'

Today I undertook the seemingly simple task of transferring sod from a new project near the garden to the barren bed of formerly-tanked-emptiness.

FIFTEEN wheelbarrow loads later...it could have been one or two less...it was mostly done. Now a few loads of dirt were needed to "fill in the cracks."

I came in for lunch--which I selfishly made the kids prepare--and Kendra asked me in somewhat shocked tones, "Mommy, what have you been doing?!"

After I found the strength to look in the mirror, even I was dismayed....my hair was plastered to my head and my face was red as a beet (not your dark red beets, but your lighter, pink hues).

It was a humdinger of a humidifying day, it was.

At any rate, that project is sorter done, and then I got started on today's part of the lawn. (have to finish the second part tomorrow, to get it done before family camp)

The mowing proceeded without incident until I hit part of a stump, whereupon the mower died in a most abrupt manner. I started it up but my innate mechanical sensibilities were somewhat offended by an unusual scraping noise, necessitating mower stoppage and a looko beneath el mowero.

The blade was bent.

This looked like a job for el husbando.

Wheeling it up to the garage, I informed my trusty fix-it man that, "I hit part of a stump and now the blade is bent..."

"How do you know the blade is bent?" (why do they always doubt you when you tell them the blade is bent. Do I have the wherewithal to make something like that up?)

"It sounded funny and then I looked and I SAW that it was bent."

*he looks under mower*

"Wow. It's bent, all right." (heh, heh)

*takes blade off and fastens it to clamp while wife trails hopefully behind*

"I guess I'm pretty special if I can bend a mower blade, huh?"

"Oh...you're special, alright..."

Well, Miracle Man fixed the blade and I finished the minimum amount of lawn just before the final deadline (you-have-to-start-NOW-or-you'll-never-get-it-done) to fix supper.

So basically, I got a lot accomplished today, AND...

...I---am---special :-D
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home