Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Still in Indiana...

...but starting home, tomorrow.

I was all set. Bags were in the car. I was finishing up washing the dust off a few thousand glass/china knick-knacks in Mom's living room, while waiting for my sister to get back from teaching. Siblings were calling to say goodbye, since they knew I had planned to leave.

And then I got this nagging thought that reminded me of several compelling reasons to stay for one more day. And it just seemed the right thing to do.

Anyway, things are moving along, in certain regards. Nancy rented a special air mattress, the kind that changes pressure at regular intervals to prevent bedsores in people who are mostly bedridden. Mom already has a few red spots and we were getting concerned. The aides who came over yesterday and today also stressed the importance of prevention.

So that's being put into use, even as we speak.

Interestingly enough, Mom has been up a couple of times today. Once to sit in the wheelchair for a couple hours, once to sit in the wheel chair again, for the minutes it took to fix up the pressure mattress, and another time or two to use the little girl's room :-)

And what was amazing to me, was that this last time, I was basically just holding her hand and she was walk/shuffling on her own, with her other hand against various supports, like walls, tables, etc.

That was something of a small breakthrough, I thought!

Physically, I think she appears to be gaining some strength. But her solitary way of life may have to change. And since she wishes to remain at home--at least those were her thoughts before all this happened--extension of professional watch care is being considered.

Tomorrow is a doctor's appointment, and I thought it would be good to attend. Plus, it is going to take two people to get her ready, particularly wheelchair conveyance, so that is another reason for me to stay over. I'm definitely driving back after the appointment, however. Loren told me to be sure and take the time I needed in my stay, out here (I wanted to let people know that, so nobody thinks Ma is off larking about. There's not a day I haven't wanted to go home).

On less earthshaking notes, I have run out of chocolate, just now scrounging up the last odd piece from the bottom of my purse. Also, I am trying to decide which of my four shirts that I've already worn twice, to wear to the doctor's appointment tomorrow. One really hates to harbor offensive smells when trying to appear like a mature offspring of the young doctor's elderly patient.

Another odd thing...many of the same newscasters who were on the telly 15 years ago when we lived out thisaway, are still reporting news and sports! It was like going back into the twilight zone.

Almost as strange as trying to call home on Mom's dial phone.
 

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Is Mommy home? Is Mommy home? (waits eagerly to hear...)

4/16/2009 09:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home