Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, October 26, 2009

Alternative Parenting Methods

I was pretty strict with the older children. Very, very careful of what they would see, hear, and even eat.

Always felt that if I didn't do things JUST RIGHT, the kids might end up ax murderers or something....I don't know. You get so uptight when you start out in the parenting business.

And it is a business, with the exception that you bring your work home with you and never get a vacation and people are always giving you unsolicited advice and in the back of your mind is that nagging thought, "Why can't I be more like the Duggers?"

(if you don't know who they are, go Google them and see why half of Christian conservative motherhood feels they have failed...and I'm not talking about me, by the way)

But getting back to playing country music for Nolan and Trevor in the car, I was complaining on Facebook as to how I was taking the two youngest shopping and making a tremendous sacrifice by not playing the music I wanted. Because they were along.

But then, I got a comment from cousin-in-law, Kim, which pretty much gave me carte blanche to play whatever I desired. And so I thought I'd give it a try, with the option to turn the volume to zero for less-than-desirable lyrics.

WELL, one of the first songs that came on, was an oldie from 2003-2004, The Long Black Train, by Josh Turner. I'd never heard it before, my flirtation with the evils of country music having only occurred in the past couple of years.

Great song. Love the acoustic guitar and rhythm going in the background, just like a train headin' down the tracks. And Nolan was all ears, shushing Trevor's chatter because, "I want to hear this song!" As soon as it was over he commented, "That was a Christian song..." "Yes, pretty much." Here are a few of the lyrics:

"There's a long black train,
Comin' down the line,
Feedin' off the souls that are lost and cryin',
Rails of sin, only evil remains
Watch out brother for that Long Black Train

'Cause there's vict'ry in the Lord I say,
Vict'ry in the lord,
Cling to the Father and His holy name,
And don't go ridin' on that Long Black Train

There's an engineer on that Long Black Train,
Makin' you wonder if the ride is worth the pain,
He's just a waiting on your heart to say
Let me ride on that Long Black Train,

But you know there's vict'ry in the Lord I say,
Vict'ry in the Lord,
Cling to the Father and His holy name,
And dont go ridin' on that Long Black Train

Well, I can hear the whistle from a mile away,
It sounds so good
But I must stay away
That train is a beauty, makin' everybody stare
But its only destination is the middle of nowhere."


So, I'm thinkin'...ipod...for his birthday....with about 50 different versions of that song.

It's a thought, anyway.
 

2 Comments:

Blogger tank said...

I went to see Josh Turner at Billy Bob's. It was a packed house, and I saw some other LeTUs there - Kris & Emily. But, anyway, he's got some good stuff.

10/27/2009 05:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song was a favorite of a dear lady in my Sunday School class that went to be with the Lord last year. She had it played at her funeral. Great song!
Elizabeth

10/27/2009 07:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home