Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Life in the Yard, et plus

Despite wild preparations, Ma is not too busy to post a couple of pictures.

Thanks to Kendra, for alerting me to my favorite blue visitor, the Indigo Bunting.

He is gorgeous, and that you can't deny.

Common Squirreltail or Foxtail Barley, Hordeum jabatum (everything's cooler in Latin)
Even common things can be beautiful.

One of my favorites, Pink Cosmos.
It's from a group of white, light and dark pink flowers that I planted last year. This year I moved the volunteer seedlings around to various spots and so far, each flower has been this same color.
____________

On to the Countdown Report:

Ethan and I mowed a good two-thirds of the lawn, today. I forced myself to do extra so we wouldn't have to knock ourselves out before the first meeting, arriving with pink cheeks and wilted personas.

Good thing, since Kendra tells me we'll be under a heat advisory for Wednesday. (hope that whole driving-to-Waterloo-for-your-class-in-a-car-without-air-conditioning goes well for you, ma chère).

Carolyn prepared and baked the Runzas, which were rather time-consuming but nonetheless quite fun. Kendra made her famous soft chocolate chip cookies, and I ended up doing the cookie bars. This last change of plans involved the MLB All Star game and Ethan's sudden sense of being lead to watch, thereof.

Also had the kids pick and snap beans, much to Nolan's chagrin. Besides a whole mess for supper, I have two trays freezing up to be put in zip-locks, later.

Loren's been at work on the big platform, adding a trap door, a chain ladder, and more stabilizing....stuff. Not all of that was done today, but he is plenty tuckered out from these protracted labors.

Practiced our special music, but alas, still no skit.

A very profitable day, though.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home