Another Day of Firsts
Nolan, five years old and nearly as big as Ethan (8) lost his first tooth today. It had been precariously connected to his mouth by an ever diminishing strand of flesh. I offered to pull it out. It's a polished technique I have perfected over the years, called, The Sneak Attack. "Let me just look at it...*yank*....oops, looky there, it came out! Well, whaddya know?
But Nolan either doesn't trust me, or had observed this operation on others, and he was not buying it. The little nubbin of calcium finally just fell out, with exclamations of amazement and joy by its owner. Next came the official finding of a tooth depository receptacle, labeling with masking tape and magic marker, followed by the solemn "dropping of the tooth."
____________
I was privileged to overhear Trevor's first complete sentence. It was morning, and I was engaged in the usual, pointless pre-breakfast exercises. Hamstrings and quadriceps, I believe, with Bach's Brandenburg Concertos playing in the background. Trevor was at a table nearby, industriously building with the amassed Lego's. "I knock down dat!" *CRASH* So, it's official. Another implementer of destruction is amongst us. I can't quite remember what the girls used for their first words. Possibly something like, "Does this designer diaper make me look fat?" (Ok. I confess I made up that part, but boys and girls do play and speak differently)
______________
I took care of a backlog of trash by dragging it out to the burnpile for my own demolition ritual. Trevor was tagging along, and as I saw him headed for a particularly juicy mud puddle I exhorted, "Trevor! No! Don't go IN the puddle, go a-ROUND!"....*cringe*.... Too late..... He made a perfect home plate slide, with boots, pants and back of coat nicely covered in oozy Iowa mud.
First clothes casualty of the season.
______________
Speaking of conflagrations, have I ever given my "recipe" for a really great fire? I don't recommend this for just ANY situation, but, when you have several months (or years) of diapers stacked up, it's time to crank it up a notch.
You will need: trash bags, can of mower gas, matches.
Step 1: Take out all the bags of trash to be burned. Set all but one on the burnpile. The one left out must consist mainly of dry paper.
Step 2: Take the can for mower gas and pour a liberal amount into each trash bag. Take pains to not spill any on hands or clothes. Remove gas can from immediate premises by at least 50 ft.
Step 3: Take remaining bag of mostly dry paper and set delicately in center of pile.
Step 4: Carefully light "dry" bag, making sure match is left in this bag and not recklessly flicked onto gasoline saturated trash.
Step 5: With a combination of speed and nonchalance, exit immediate area, turn around and await first "poof/boom"
Step 6: Exhale
Step 7: Don't tell husband Tweet
But Nolan either doesn't trust me, or had observed this operation on others, and he was not buying it. The little nubbin of calcium finally just fell out, with exclamations of amazement and joy by its owner. Next came the official finding of a tooth depository receptacle, labeling with masking tape and magic marker, followed by the solemn "dropping of the tooth."
____________
I was privileged to overhear Trevor's first complete sentence. It was morning, and I was engaged in the usual, pointless pre-breakfast exercises. Hamstrings and quadriceps, I believe, with Bach's Brandenburg Concertos playing in the background. Trevor was at a table nearby, industriously building with the amassed Lego's. "I knock down dat!" *CRASH* So, it's official. Another implementer of destruction is amongst us. I can't quite remember what the girls used for their first words. Possibly something like, "Does this designer diaper make me look fat?" (Ok. I confess I made up that part, but boys and girls do play and speak differently)
______________
I took care of a backlog of trash by dragging it out to the burnpile for my own demolition ritual. Trevor was tagging along, and as I saw him headed for a particularly juicy mud puddle I exhorted, "Trevor! No! Don't go IN the puddle, go a-ROUND!"....*cringe*.... Too late..... He made a perfect home plate slide, with boots, pants and back of coat nicely covered in oozy Iowa mud.
First clothes casualty of the season.
______________
Speaking of conflagrations, have I ever given my "recipe" for a really great fire? I don't recommend this for just ANY situation, but, when you have several months (or years) of diapers stacked up, it's time to crank it up a notch.
You will need: trash bags, can of mower gas, matches.
Step 1: Take out all the bags of trash to be burned. Set all but one on the burnpile. The one left out must consist mainly of dry paper.
Step 2: Take the can for mower gas and pour a liberal amount into each trash bag. Take pains to not spill any on hands or clothes. Remove gas can from immediate premises by at least 50 ft.
Step 3: Take remaining bag of mostly dry paper and set delicately in center of pile.
Step 4: Carefully light "dry" bag, making sure match is left in this bag and not recklessly flicked onto gasoline saturated trash.
Step 5: With a combination of speed and nonchalance, exit immediate area, turn around and await first "poof/boom"
Step 6: Exhale
Step 7: Don't tell husband Tweet

The Progeny
3 Comments:
XD
I now feel an insatiable urge to build a very large bonfire. Pity they don't let me burn things here...
hmm... ardith, The day after graduation, we could take care of all the extra school books that you don't want???
What do you think mom?
~the 11th child, Heather
Heather, I have just seen this (2/27) and all I can say is I am shocked!
Utterly and completely SHOCKED!!
(remember to keep the gas can well back)
Post a Comment
<< Home