Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Great Tolkien Mystery

Yesterday was the every-two-months-dash-to-the-libraries-and-stores outing.

I vaguely remember living in Warsaw and taking Ardith and Sharon to the library every week.

But that was one of the trade-offs in moving out to Iowa. I knew we wouldn't have the easy access to a large library.

Now however, I'm pretty glad we can only go every two months, since it takes almost 5 hours, and that often means sacrificing the Goodwill store.

Yesterday was a fairly good day, in that we only had a couple missing from each library. In addition, I had a fine at one because I'd forgotten to renew for two days past the original due date.

But I got in their good graces by paying right up--you don't get to check out new books, otherwise--AND, they were selling off some old items, so I picked up 10-12 Boxcar Children paperbacks. On donation. I offered about $.35 per book, which made them happy as Icarus with heat resistant wings. Apparently they get more money by donation as opposed to their original pricing of $.25.

That in itself was enough to fulfill my good deed for the day, but in addition, I offered to pay for the missing Tolkien biography. No one in our family seems to remember checking it out, though it's barely possible it was me, and on a totally unrelated subject, maybe I SHOULD clean out the bedroom.

The librarians were most wonderful and said they would keep checking.

An easier solution to the problem might be moving to another state.

On the snow shoveling front, I redid the entire drive, all by my li'l ol' self, before lunch.

The official snowfall total for our area was listed at .4 inches, but there was close to 4 inches by the garage, 3 for the main drag, and around 1 out by the road.

And people wonder why I've lost my faith in humanity.

Speaking of storms that come round every Monday, would you believe we are getting another one this weekend?

Technically, we're on the edge of the storm watch designation, but there will be wind. Even a couple inches of snow will be a problem.

Thankfully, there's a comforting "drip-drip" outside. Who knows? We might melt away an inch or two before we get 4-6 more.

It's going to be a damp spring.
 

2 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

yeah...at least our 3 inches melted out of the streets, even if there will probably now be larger slick pots along the edges...

0.4 inches? Were they recording the moisture content?

2/20/2010 08:55:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

I do not know. One has to wonder at some of this data.

2/21/2010 07:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home