A Carmen Commentary
Well, we went, we sat, we heard. *happy sigh*
But before leaving for the opera, we had to make certain those remaining at home were left with ample provender. (frozen pizza, leftover pop, and movies) Ok. That pretty much takes care of the guys and young girls. Loren may not be a fan of frozen pizza, but, hey, what's he gonna do? I know where he keeps his Cyclosporine and Prednisone, if ya know what I mean.
So, getting back to the "Ultimate Chic Night Out," we left on the hour's drive with plenty of light left, since I wanted to scope out the site before dark. (I don't see as well at nighttime, but don't tell anyone that, or they may not want to ride with me....)
Found the place with little problem, thanks to the directions I had printed off amidst a passing moment of great foresight. After eluding campus security, we headed off in what I thought would surely be the direction leading to restaurants. I was wrong. We turned about and headed off in another direction which sooner or later had to lead to food. It did not. We took another tack which, while offering experience in city driving, did not hold forth even one diner. Suddenly, I remembered exactly where I was, and exactly where I wanted to go. I had actually known all the time, I just hadn't remembered it until then. I think I ought to get half-credit, at least.
So, the confidence of daughters being once again renewed in their maman, we headed to the mall area, where places to sup literally leap from the pavement. We chose "Panera Bread." Panera having something to do with bread, I'm thinking we actually ate at, "Bread Bread." But it was very good, with relatively fast service. Owing to earlier directional faux pas, this last point proved crucial.
We dined, all three of us, on the very same meal: Asian Sesame Chicken Salad, with roll and lemon flavored water. I think they were still suffering from We're-not-going-to-get-to-the-opera-in-time Syndrome, since I picked first and they just followed with "me too." The salads were excellent. Even with the cilantro.
Plenty of time to get to the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center and find our seats in the Mezzanine, next to last row. With this achieved, I sensed both Sharon and Kendra relax a bit, realizing that we had indeed arrived before curtain time.
Well, it was simply a delightful experience. I have never actually been to an opera before, and thus do not feel qualified to give an expert opinion, but it was enchanting. Oh, I supposed things weren't perfect. One of the male guys (not a lead) had a rather weak voice that did not project as well, and the second French horn player was sharp in two noticeable places. But really, for Iowa, it was a lovely performance. We enjoyed the whole atmosphere: the auditorium, the patrons sipping wine at intermission, the English translation up on a small screen. (I was surprised at this, but it was actually quite helpful)
Carmen was performed by Opera Verdi Europa. I'd give you a link, but apparently they are too busy to put up a web site. Here is what was listed at one concert site:
Established in 1996 by Ivan
Kyurkchiev, the Opera Verdi Europa
comprises 100 of Bulgaria’s best
singers, musicians and dancers, and is
gaining recognition as one of the
world’s most prestigious opera stagers.
Next year they are coming back to do, "The Barber of Seville." :-)
Now, a brief word to those who would wonder why a Christian would go to see a production describing a story with less than admirable characters. (Come on. I KNOW you are out there :-)
1) The music is utterly gorgeous. A repast for the ears.
2) There are times when I feel hearing a "secular" concert of excellent quality is just as profitable as enduring a "Christian" production of mediocrity. Perhaps more so.
3) I think it advantageous to be exposed to what are considered "classics" in different genres. This is a classic in the field of opera.
4) I can mention to my girls, "That sounds a little 'Carmenesque,'" and they will know exactly what I mean, without having to go into a 4 page description of why.
I would make one observation as to Performing Art Centers in general. THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH WOMENS' BATHROOMS! We waited in a long but fast moving line at intermission, and still had to walk in after lights out for the second overture. That is my only complaint of the facility. It is a beautiful auditorium. And when the entire chorus sings in full voice, it just sets you back in your seat :-)
And, in case anyone feels those left at home were sad, let me assure you, "Mais non!" Along with eating pizza on paper plates, (less dishes that way) they indulged in not one, but TWO National Geographic tapes. "Volcanos," and "Dragons of the Galapagos Islands." So, now I have at least three or four kids who want to be Vulcanologists, or major in "Lizard Studies." Until the next video, anyway.
But enough of this frivolity. We are off to church soon, for communion :-) Tweet
But before leaving for the opera, we had to make certain those remaining at home were left with ample provender. (frozen pizza, leftover pop, and movies) Ok. That pretty much takes care of the guys and young girls. Loren may not be a fan of frozen pizza, but, hey, what's he gonna do? I know where he keeps his Cyclosporine and Prednisone, if ya know what I mean.
So, getting back to the "Ultimate Chic Night Out," we left on the hour's drive with plenty of light left, since I wanted to scope out the site before dark. (I don't see as well at nighttime, but don't tell anyone that, or they may not want to ride with me....)
Found the place with little problem, thanks to the directions I had printed off amidst a passing moment of great foresight. After eluding campus security, we headed off in what I thought would surely be the direction leading to restaurants. I was wrong. We turned about and headed off in another direction which sooner or later had to lead to food. It did not. We took another tack which, while offering experience in city driving, did not hold forth even one diner. Suddenly, I remembered exactly where I was, and exactly where I wanted to go. I had actually known all the time, I just hadn't remembered it until then. I think I ought to get half-credit, at least.
So, the confidence of daughters being once again renewed in their maman, we headed to the mall area, where places to sup literally leap from the pavement. We chose "Panera Bread." Panera having something to do with bread, I'm thinking we actually ate at, "Bread Bread." But it was very good, with relatively fast service. Owing to earlier directional faux pas, this last point proved crucial.
We dined, all three of us, on the very same meal: Asian Sesame Chicken Salad, with roll and lemon flavored water. I think they were still suffering from We're-not-going-to-get-to-the-opera-in-time Syndrome, since I picked first and they just followed with "me too." The salads were excellent. Even with the cilantro.
Plenty of time to get to the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center and find our seats in the Mezzanine, next to last row. With this achieved, I sensed both Sharon and Kendra relax a bit, realizing that we had indeed arrived before curtain time.
Well, it was simply a delightful experience. I have never actually been to an opera before, and thus do not feel qualified to give an expert opinion, but it was enchanting. Oh, I supposed things weren't perfect. One of the male guys (not a lead) had a rather weak voice that did not project as well, and the second French horn player was sharp in two noticeable places. But really, for Iowa, it was a lovely performance. We enjoyed the whole atmosphere: the auditorium, the patrons sipping wine at intermission, the English translation up on a small screen. (I was surprised at this, but it was actually quite helpful)
Carmen was performed by Opera Verdi Europa. I'd give you a link, but apparently they are too busy to put up a web site. Here is what was listed at one concert site:
Established in 1996 by Ivan
Kyurkchiev, the Opera Verdi Europa
comprises 100 of Bulgaria’s best
singers, musicians and dancers, and is
gaining recognition as one of the
world’s most prestigious opera stagers.
Next year they are coming back to do, "The Barber of Seville." :-)
Now, a brief word to those who would wonder why a Christian would go to see a production describing a story with less than admirable characters. (Come on. I KNOW you are out there :-)
1) The music is utterly gorgeous. A repast for the ears.
2) There are times when I feel hearing a "secular" concert of excellent quality is just as profitable as enduring a "Christian" production of mediocrity. Perhaps more so.
3) I think it advantageous to be exposed to what are considered "classics" in different genres. This is a classic in the field of opera.
4) I can mention to my girls, "That sounds a little 'Carmenesque,'" and they will know exactly what I mean, without having to go into a 4 page description of why.
I would make one observation as to Performing Art Centers in general. THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH WOMENS' BATHROOMS! We waited in a long but fast moving line at intermission, and still had to walk in after lights out for the second overture. That is my only complaint of the facility. It is a beautiful auditorium. And when the entire chorus sings in full voice, it just sets you back in your seat :-)
And, in case anyone feels those left at home were sad, let me assure you, "Mais non!" Along with eating pizza on paper plates, (less dishes that way) they indulged in not one, but TWO National Geographic tapes. "Volcanos," and "Dragons of the Galapagos Islands." So, now I have at least three or four kids who want to be Vulcanologists, or major in "Lizard Studies." Until the next video, anyway.
But enough of this frivolity. We are off to church soon, for communion :-) Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home